Sunday 28 April 2013

Chocolate Rum Balls (actually Bailey's Balls)

Clearly from the majority of my posts you can see that I am a huge sweet tooth and love nothing more than a delicious treat after dinner. This is another very fast and extremely simple dessert to put together. 

Unfortunately, this is not a lactose-free recipe. If you know of any lactose-free alternatives for Rum Balls please let me know and I will have a go at making them. 


Chocolate Rum Ball Recipe 




Makes about 40 

Ingredients: 

350g gluten free shortbread biscuits, crushed 
1 tin (395g) sweetened condensed milk
3 tbsp cocoa powder
50ml Bailey's Irish Cream alcohol
1 cup shaved coconut with extra for coating

1 cup crushed macadamia nuts 

Steps: 

1. Combine the biscuits, cocoa, macadamia nuts and coconut in a bowl.

2. Add the Bailey's and stir. Add the condensed milk as you go, until all the ingredients are combined and hold together well. I use maybe just under a tin in total as I do not want them too mushy.  


3. Make into small balls using hands and coat with extra coconut. 

4. Freeze for at least an hour before serving. 


I've stored mine in an ice cream container, in the freezer 


Alternatives:
- Other nuts, or almond meal instead of macadamias
- Gluten-free choc biccies instead of short bread

Let me know of any others that work for you!

Please note: 

**Because Fructose Malabsorbers cannot have Rum I used Bailey's as an alternative. I cannot find anywhere that states whether or not we can have Baileys and whether it is safe for Fructose Malabsorbers. If you know the answer please let me know! However, having eaten many of these delicious Bailey's Balls I have never felt unwell. So please let me know how you went with them! 

1 comment:

  1. Great idea to add Almond Meal as an alternative. Coconut is not tolerated so the Meal will add a good binder- as well as being healthy. Didn't use Baileys either but used Soy Condensed milk and Walnuts instead of Macadamia nuts. Thanks for Recipe.

    ReplyDelete